MSc Bioinformatics with Systems Biology
I am Course Director, Chair of Examiners and a Course Tutor for this long-running and widely respected MSc course run jointly by Birkbeck and UCL. I teach on the following course modules:
- Biocomputing I (10 lectures/practicals)
- Data Science (8 lectures/practicals)
- Biocomputing II (3 sessions)
- Statistics (1 lecture on Machine learning: neural networks and SVMs)
- Systems Biology (1 lecture on Ig-seq: antibody repertoire sequencing)
Many of my PhD students have been recruited from the course, and act as demonstrators during their studies.
In 2017, I gave a lecture on the future of stratified medicine for the Technology Trajectories Module of Birkbeck's MSc Bio-business course. I run an annual session on plagiarism awareness for the Graduate Studies Programme in the Department of Biological Sciences, Birkbeck.
Previous Teaching Duties
Previous duties included:
- Lead Tutor on the Database Management Systems module of the Bioinformatics Programme at the University of Oxford (2005-11)
- External Examiner for the MSc Bioinformatics and Systems Biology course at Imperial College (2005-2009)
- Admissions Tutor (until February 2011), lectures on Java (Biocomputing II module, until 2008) and Simulating the Human Immune System (Systems Biology module, until 2011) for the MSc Bionformatics with Systems Biology course at BBK/UCL
- Director of the MRes Bioinformatics with Systems Biology course (2012)
- Teaching bioinformatics on the MSc Microbiology, BSc Molecular Biology and Graduate Studies Programme at Birkbeck.
The SysMIC (Systems Training in Maths, Informatics and Computational Biology), a 5-year £1 million project funded by the BBSRC, started in January 2012. I am a co-PI on this project. The first national intake of BBSRC PhD students was in January 2013. For more details, see the SysMIC website.
An overview of SysMIC was presented at the Higher Education Acedemy STEM Annual Learning and Teaching Conference 2014: Enhancing the STEM Student Journey and is available in the Conference Proceedings (Abstract/PowerPoint slides).
Current projects are listed here. (For a list of past projects, see this page.)