Ajit Basak Homepage
Department of Crystallography
London WC1E 7HX
1) Structure and function of
bacterial toxins supported by a BBSRC Project Grant .
We have now solved three crystal structures
of the alpha-toxin from Clostridium perfringens .
This protein is the key virulence determinant in gas-gangrene.
One crystal structure (containing cadmium ions) shows the molecule in an active conformation.
Another structure (cadmium free) shows a catalytically inactive form of the enzyme where entry
to the active site is blocked.
We have also proposed a model for its interaction with the cell membrane. Details will appear
on the Web as soon as our paper is accepted.
2) Supramolecular organisation of the
(MRC Programme Grant)
3) Molecular structure of eukaryotic release factors and their function in protein synthesis
1) Measurement and interpretation of X-ray diffuse scattering
2) Estimation of errors in macromolecular structure determination
1) Development of a class library for bioinformatics
(BBSRC Project Grant)
2) Development of software for visualising domain motions in protein crystals
MSc (Computer Modelling and Bioinformatics)
2) Organiser of the award winning
Principles of Protein Structure on
Co-ordinator of teaching programmes
Any questions and bug reports to
Ajit K Basak
Last updated 13 December 1997